Dinwiddie Middle School’s existing campus utilized two facilities. The main building was built in 1954 with additions in 1979; the annex was built in 1960 with two additions in 1965. The main building was inadequate in size and spatial arrangement and would not lend itself to a modern middle school program. The community expressed opposition to the demolition of this historically significant building. Therefore, the renewal or “rebirth” of this facility was designed by Ballou Justice Upton Architects.